Sunday, February 07, 2016

OLE QUIT (1954)

1997-06-15-223

ESSAY Personal #003

OLE QUIT (1954)

    I knew we bought Old Quit for amusement. She was too old to do anything else. She was a domestic little bay horse with a big white question mark in her forehead. She was a pleasure to ride, if you wanted to ride slowly. You couldn’t get her to run. In 1954 She was just too old.

    Our first lesson in flatulescence came the very first time we tried to ride her. I nudged her with the heel of my foot and she began to lope. It was during the lope that the episodes began. For over a quarter mile it was one after another, until I said “Quit!” I realized where she had gotten her name, and it made it even funnier.

    I came back and told the others. They said that every horse does that.  “Not Ole Quit,” I exclaimed.  “Cause Quit don’t quit.” By the time my mother and us kids had ridden in our turn, we were all laughing hysterically. She had done it to each of us  every time we got her to lope. We decided she would have to hold the world’s record for the longest continuous episode.

    She died about a year later. We had been allowing her to rest more often than not, for we knew she didn’t have long to live.

    I related this story to my children 40 years later. We laughed so hard I had to say “excuse me.”

    “Now,” my daughter said “We know why they called her Quit. We’re going to have to tell you to quit, dad.”

    We laughed so hard, at the horse, and at me, that pandemonium reigned as one after another of us had to be told to “Quit.”It’s one of my children’s favorite stories, for we became a part of it.

    ◆◆◆
Larry M. Binion
 the wordmaster

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home